Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Creamy Vegan Mushroom And Artichoke Soup With Oyster, Crimini And Shiitake Mushrooms - Perfect For Holiday Menus!

This delicious, vegan, gluten free soup is thick with mushrooms and artichokes yet it's less than 250 calories per serving!

Follow Foods For Long Life on FACEBOOK !


Holiday Menu
It's about time to start thinking about holiday menus again. If you love the rich taste and texture of mushrooms and artichokes, this may be the one to serve at your next special dinner! 
I used crimini, oyster and fresh shitake mushrooms in this but other mushrooms will do. I think Maitake, royal trumpet or just about any of the mushrooms I found during my tour of Gourmet Mushrooms in Sebastopol would do nicely!  


In this soup, I use crimini, oyster and fresh shiitake mushrooms but others will do nicely!


Cream Soup Without the Cream
I use several techniques to get rid of cream in my creamy soups. Sometimes I blend in silken soft tofu, sometimes I blend in potatoes. I've even sprinkled in a few tablespoons of instant mashed potatoes. But today I just cooked in small diced Yukon gold potatoes (without blending) and finished the soup with So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer. The result is a rich, thick, creamy soup with no cholesterol and very few calories. (I used the French Vanilla version of this creamer the other day in my Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Pecan Ice Cream post. I love this product, although I do use it sparingly. It's especially good in chai tea.)


Folding in small diced potatoes to the mushroom mixture.
Cooking potatoes in a soup is a natural way to thicken it.


This rich creamer has zero fat and only 10 calories per tablespoon.  A perfect replacement for half and half.


Creamy Vegan Mushroom and Artichoke Soup
Vegan, Gluten Free
[makes 5 servings]


2 tablespoons Earth Balance vegan margarine
4 ounce shallot, cleaned and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/3 pound crimini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1/3 oyster mushrooms, cleaned and torn into large pieces
1/3 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
4 cups vegetable stock
1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced in 1/2" cubes
14 ounce can water packed artichoke hearts, rinsed & quartered
1/2 cup So Delicious Original coconut milk creamer
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Additional freshly ground black pepper


Heat Earth Balance in a 5 quart Dutch oven and cook shallots for several minutes until soft. 
Stir in garlic, thyme, black pepper, red pepper flakes, salt and mushrooms and cook 10 to 15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
Mix in potatoes and then stir in vegetable stock. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, partially covered for 10 minutes or until potatoes begin to soften and the soup starts to thicken.
Stir in artichokes and cook another 15 minutes, partially covered.
Stir in creamer, heat thoroughly.
Serve topped with chopped parsley and freshly ground black pepper.


Per serving: 214 calories, 4.4 g fat, 1.4 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 5 g protein, 32.2 g carbohydrates, 5.7 g dietary fiber and 526 mg sodium.

2 comments:

Vegiegail said...

Whoa, this looks SO delicious! I am a total mushroom and artichoke fan, and this soup is SO up my alley! I can't thank you enough for sharing the recipe!

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

I am SO glad you like it! :-)
Enjoy!
Joanne