Thursday, June 16, 2016

Creamy Vegan New Potato Salad With Dill
Red, White And Blue New Potatoes
Perfect For The 4th Of July

This new potato salad is perfect for summer BBQ's.

Follow Foods For Long Life on Facebook and Pinterest.

My Expectations are High
If you've been following my post on "How to grow your own potatoes", you'll see that my plants are doing exceptionally well. After 6 short weeks, the plants have taken over the bed, are 3 feet tall, and have begun to flower! Since my expectations are high, I've begun to think about what I'm going to do with all of these potatoes.

In the meantime, while I anxiously await the birth of my own purple and gold new potatoes, I found these adorable baby new potatoes at the market this week. I thought they would make a very colorful and delicious salad using the dill from my new herb garden.

These cute little multicolored potatoes are only 1" across
Dill from my garden

                 *                               *                              *                            *

Creamy New Potato Salad with Dill
Vegan, Dairy and Gluten Free
[makes 6 to 8 servings]

Ingredients
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 pounds baby new potatoes (1/2 pound white, 1/2 pound purple, 1/2 pound red)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 cup finely diced celery (~ 2 center stalks)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
2 tablespoons vegan sour cream

Directions
Combine the red onion, garlic, oil and vinegar and set aside. Sitting in the vinegar will cut the intensity of the red onion.




Scrub the potatoes and dice into 1/2 inch pieces. If they are tiny, one-inch new potatoes, just cut in half. Place in a medium saucepan of boiling water with one teaspoon of salt. Cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Do not overcook. 

Drain the potatoes and let them cool. Place in a salad bowl and toss with the oil and vinegar mixture. Add the celery, another 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or to taste), black pepper, dill, and sour cream. Toss until well combined.

Serve immediately or refrigerate.

Nutrition
Per serving (6): 128 calories, 3 g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber, and 242 mg sodium.

Per serving (8): 96 calories, 2 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g protein, 18 g carbohydrates, 2 g dietary fiber, and 181 sodium.



4 comments:

Melanie Bishop said...

Making this today. Looks so good. Wanted to let you know that when going through the sequence, you don't mention the garlic and onion that are in the original ingredient list.

So beautiful. CAn't wait to try it.

Thanks, Joanne!!!

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

The garlic and onion goes in the oil and vinegar as the first step. See above. I do that to cut the harshness of the red onion.
Enjoy!
Joanne

Unknown said...

Hi Joanne,
I've often made this type of potato salad and have used 1 cup of white wine reduced to 1/2 cup. I think it's my favorite potato salad, and I believe I got the recipe from Fine Cooking a long time ago. Thanks for the reminder! Now if only my dill seeds will grow, I'll be making this.

Dr. Joanne L. Mumola Williams said...

I like the idea of reduced wine instead of the vinegar. Will have to try that!
Joanne